If you know me or just read here or follow my IG you know I am the ultimate Pizza Slut. I love me some pizza. All kinds, even the bad frozen stuff doesn't phase me. I'll eat it. And I have been, all summer long actually. Sooo I am on a self imposed pizza hiatus for at least the month of August. Actually I am hitting the Whole30 & Paleo hard until my birthday in September because I have been so lax and am feeling a wee bit crappy.
In honor of that I decided to do some meal prep this week and finally, finally got around to making a recipe that so many rave about.... Almost 5 Ingredient Pizza Spaghetti Pie. It is from my favorite Paleo Cookbook author Juli Bauer who has a new book coming out this month... pre-order it for almost half off now here... you will not be disappointed! Check out her IG feed too... @paleomg
This is definitely a keeper. I swear it tastes like pizza and spaghetti all in one. I followed the recipe exactly with the addition of some sliced pepperoni on top because I need pepperoni on my pizza. All of the flavors really come together and are the healthiest version of pizza I have had in weeks. Ok, there's no crust but make sure you really bake it well and the top gets a lovely, crispy golden brown. This is definitely going to be a keeper in my rotation.
Oh yeah, you know how spaghetti squash is a bitch and a half to cut open? Well I read a lot of the reviews for the recipe and someone suggested piercing it a bunch of times with a knife and cooking it whole. Boom... this was genious and worked like a charm. No more almost cutting your hand off trying to get that thing open. Bake, split, let it cool and clean it out and you are ready to casserole! Enjoy!
Almost 5 Ingredient Pizza Spaghetti Pie
- 1 large spaghetti squash (about 600 grams)
- 1 pound italian sausage
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup pizza sauce (no sugar added)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 eggs, whisked
- (optional: add anything you like with pizza: veggies, basil, even cheese if you do primal)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Place spaghetti squash cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the skin of the squash gives when you press on it. Then reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- Once squash is done cooking, remove threads and place in an 8×8 greased baking dish.
- Place a large pan over medium heat. Add italian sausage and onion. Cook until pink no longer remains in the sausage and it is broken up into pieces.
- Add pizza sauce, dried basil and salt and pepper to the pan and mix well.
- Add sausage mixture to the 8×8 dish and mix well with spaghetti squash threads.
- Lastly, add whisked eggs to the baking dish and mix everything together until you can no longer see the eggs.
- Place in oven and bake for 1 hour or until the top of the mixture forms a slight crust that doesn’t give when you press on it in the middle of the dish.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.